Home » Airplane Insurance » Cessna » Cessna Single Engine Piston

Cessna Single Engine Piston Airplane Insurance

Cessna Single Engine Piston Insurance Cost Examples

Cessna T206 Turbo Stationair - Owner Pilot Experienced; New to Cessna

Coverage Limits Premium
T206 Turbo Stationair Physical Damage $850,000 Agreed Value $7,500
Aircraft Liability $1,000,000 Per Occurrence $1,500
Total Annual Premium $9,000

Cessna Turbo 182T - Owner Pilot Less Experience

Coverage Limits Premium
Turbo 182T Physical Damage $600,000 Agreed Value $5,500
Aircraft Liability $1,000,000 Per Occurrence $1,500
Total Annual Premium $8,000

Coverage Limits Premium
172 Skyhawk Physical Damage $450,000 Agreed Value $9,500
Aircraft Liability $1,000,000 sub $100,000 per passenger $2,000
Total Annual Premium $11,500

Aircraft Summary

Cessna is one of the first companies to innovate and scale light single engine piston aircraft to the general aviation market. Cessna had the highest volume and dominated the market until Cirrus Aircraft started mass production of the SR22 in the early 2000s.

The most expensive Cessna piston aircraft is the Turbo H206T Stationair HD which has a cruise of 161 kts, range of 703 nm, and useful load of 1,441. The cost is $850,000.

There is also a Cessna Owners Organization to stay up to date and forum discussions. https://cessnaowner.org/

Cessna’s has a lot of aviation insurance underwriting interest because of the lower hull value for many of the aircraft and the number of aircraft in operation which helps to project the risk of future losses.

The highest liability limits available for Single Engine Piston Cessna aircraft is $2,000,000 per occurrence for experienced pilots. Liability premium is typically around 20% – 30% of the overall premium. The remaining 70% – 80% of the premium is for the hull value.

An easy way to estimate or visualize the premium for a Cessna Piston Aircraft is: 1%, 2%, 3% and sometimes in excess of 4% – depending on the hull value and pilot experience.

  • 1% of the hull value for experienced pilots, no dry leases or fractional, pleasure & business operations by an owner pilot with a high hull value like $800,000.
  • 2% of the hull value for Private Pilots working on Instrument, fractional ownership and more than 3 named pilots with a high hull value like $600,000.
  • 3% of the hull value for less experienced pilots; Student Pilots working on Private Pilot
  • 4% of the hull value for Student Pilots with hull value at $150,000; Instruction and Rental; Flight Schools


Models We Cover

  • 172 Skyhawk
  • Turbo 182T Skylane
  • Turbo 206H Stationair HD
  • Cessna 400 Series
  • Turbo 210
  • 180 Skywagon
  • 340


Cessna piston aircraft hold their value fairly well along with the rest of the market, such as Cirrus and Beechcraft.

Risk Areas

The hardest aircraft to insure for Cessna Piston Aircraft is operations that have a lot of Named Pilots listed on the Pilot Warranty. We have seen some insurance companies cap the number of pilots they are willing to name at 5.

Claim History

Cessna aircraft have a good claims history. Most of the claims are from pilot error.

Safety Features

Most of the newer Cessnas have a Primary Flight Display (PFD) and Multi Function Display (MFD) glass cockpit by Garmin. This helps with enhanced situational awareness and instrument flying.

Aircraft Insurance Cost Guide

Learn more about the cost of insurance for private pilots based on your aircraft type and the various factors that affect premium rates. Whether you’re seeking owner aircraft insurance or commercial aircraft insurance, this valuable information will help to make an informed decision about the best coverage for you. If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out!

Flight Training Centers

Cessna Aircraft has training centers throughout the US and throughout the world. Here’s a link to Citation Training Centers https://sunsetais.com/wp-content/uploads/Approved-Schools.pdf

Parts Service Centers

Cessna aircraft service centers are located throughout the United States and world. Here’s a link to Cessna Authorized Service Centers https://txtav.com/en/service/locator

Find out what we can do for you