Home » Airplane Insurance » De Havilland Canada

De Havilland Canada Airplane Insurance

De Havilland Canada Insurance Cost Examples

De Havilland DHC-2T Turbo Beaver - Owner Pilot Experienced

Coverage Limits Premium
DHC-2T Physical Damage $2,000,000 Agreed Value $40,000
Aircraft Liability $1,000,000 Per Occurrence $10,000
Total Annual Premium $50,000

De Havilland DHC-3T Turbo Otter Amphibian - Pro Pilot Experienced

Coverage Limits Premium
DHC-3T Physical Damage $2,000,000 Agreed Value $50,500
Aircraft Liability $1,000,000 Per Occurrence $15,000
Total Annual Premium $65,000

De Havilland DHC-6 Twin Turbo Otter - Pro Pilot Experienced, Charter

Coverage Limits Premium
DHC-6 Physical Damage $3,000,000 Agreed Value $70,000
Aircraft Liability $10,000,000 Per Occurrence $25,000
Total Annual Premium $95,000

Aircraft Summary

Otters fitted with either Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-27 or Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-34 turboprop engine. The DHC-3T Turbo Otter’s type certificate was purchased in 2006 from Bombardier Aerospace by Viking Air, Ltd. On June 3, 2019 the rights to the entire de Havilland product line were acquired by Longview Aviation Capital and a new holding company, De Havilland Aircraft of Canada Limited, was formed to support the product line and to continue the manufacture of the “Q400” model.

Remanufactured Beavers by Viking Air, upgraded with a Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-34 680 hp (507 kW) turboprop engine. The DHC-2T’s type certificate was purchased in 2006 from Bombardier Aerospace by Viking Air, Ltd. On June 3, 2019 the rights to the entire de Havilland product line were acquired by Longview Aviation Capital and a new holding company, De Havilland Aircraft of Canada Limited, was formed to support the product line and to continue the manufacture of the “Q400” model.

The area with the largest demographic of De Havilland aircraft is Alaska and Canada. Most De Havilland aircraft are used for bush pilot flying and Part 135 Charter operations.

Liability premium is typically around 30% of overall premium. The remaining 70% is the hull value. A good condition Twin Otter can cost around $3,000,000 and have a seating configuration of up to 20 seats for transportation of passengers. The insurance premium for a De Havilland aircraft is based on the pilot experience, hull value, liability limit, and operational use.

An easy way to estimate or visualize the premium for a De Havilland Aircraft is: 2%, 3%, and 4%

  • 2% of the hull value for experienced pilots, high hull value like $3,000,000, low seating capacity like less than 8, private use
  • 3% of the hull value for experienced pilots, high hull value like $2,000,000, 8 – 10 seats, private use
  • 4% of the hull value or higher for commercial Alaska flight operations with over 10 seats

Models We Cover

  • DHC-2T Turbo Beaver
  • DHC-3T Otter
  • DHC-6 Twin Otter

Valuation

De Havillands hold their value well if they keep accurate maintenance records and are well maintained. Much of the value is dependent on the Time Between Overhaul (TBO) of the engines and additional equipment installed.

Risk Areas

Most De Havilland pilots are seasonal since the majority of the aircraft are based in winter locations like Alaska and Canada so even well experienced pilots will have to shake off some early season rust.

Claim History

De Havilland aircraft has had a lot of claims primarily due to the nature of the flight operations. They fly into remote airports in the backcountry and mountains that would otherwise be inaccessible.

Safety Features

Annual training in the De Havilland is required by the insurance companies. Many owners have upgraded to glass avionics for improved situational awareness and instrument approaches.

Flight Training Centers

De Havilland Flight Training Centers are located throughout the US and throughout the world at full motion level D simulators. FlightSafety International, CAE Simuflite, and Simcom.

See our complete list of approved flight schools for more information.

Parts Service Centers

De Havilland Authorized Service Centers are located throughout the US and throughout the world.

Find out what we can do for you